Best Wide-Fitting Running Shoes 2015
If you've got wide feet, bunions or really high arches you'll need wide fitting shoes. At Run and Become we've got lots of wide running shoes you can try.
Meanwhile, here are some of the best wide-fitting options:
Best Wide-Fitting Neutral Road Running Shoes
If you've got a neutral foot-strike, you could try:
- New Balance 1080: New Balance's top or the range neutral shoe is lightweight and very shock absorbent. Built on an 8mm drop to promote a more natural, midfoot strike. The men's 1080 comes in a 2E and a 4E width - the 4E 1080 is the widest of all neutral shoes available, as far as we know. The women's comes in a D width.
- Brooks Ghost: This is a hugely popular well cushioned, stable, neutral shoe from Brooks which comes in 2E width for men and a D width for women.
- Altra Instinct and Intuition: Foot shaped with good cushioning. Altra shoes are zero drop, i.e. the heel and forefoot are the same height so they take some adjusting to.
Best Wide-Fitting Anti-Pronation Road Running Shoes
If your feet have a tendency to roll inwards when running or walking, give one of these a go:
- Altra Provision: Foot shaped and stable. Altra shoes are zero drop, i.e. the heel and forefoot are the same height so they take some adjusting to.
- Brooks GTS: Decent medial support but still reasonably light and flexible. The men's comes in a 2E width, the women's in a D and a 2E width.
- Asics GT-2000: Well cushioned with a lot of support in the arch area. The men's comes in a 2E width, the women's in a D width.
- New Balance 860: Flexible and supportive. The men's comes in 2E and 4E widths, the women's in a D width.
- New Balance 940: Even stronger support than the 860. The men's comes in 2E and 4E widths - the 4E 940 is the widest support shoe we've ever come across. The women's comes in a D width.
Best Wide-Fitting Motion-Control Road Running Shoes
If you require the maximum support a shoe can give, how about?
- Asics Foundation: Really strong support but still flexible and comfortable on the foot. The men's comes in a 2E width, the women's only in a standard width but it's wider than most.
Best Wide-Fitting Racer/Trainers
In the lighter weight training shoe category there's nothing that comes in a specific wider width but the following two shoes come up a bit wider than most:
- Mizuno Sayonara: This streamlined lightweight from Mizuno is well-cushioned and responsive.
Best Wide-Fitting Road Racing Shoes
As far as we know there are no racing flats made in a wide width but this is the widest we can find.
- Mizuno Hitogami: 220g with good cushioning and a roomy toe-box.
Best Wide-Fitting Trail Running Shoes
If you're running off-road, have a look at one of these:
- Saucony Excursion: Traction and cushioning at a good price.
- Inov-8 Trailroc 245: Low profile and grippy with a wide toe-box so your feet can spread.
- Altra Superior: Foot shaped zero drop trail running shoes with a sticky rubber outsole.
Best Wide-Fitting Minimal and Barefoot Shoes
In the minimal range some come up wider than most.
- Vibram FiveFingers: The lace up versions of the five-fingered barefoot shoes work best for a wide foot or a high arch.
- Altra Instinct and Intuition: Zero drop road running shoes with good shock absorption.
Best Wide-Fitting Fell Running Shoe
For the super-muddy stuff:
- Walsh PB Ultra: This is their widest fitting fell-running shoe. Excellent uncompromising grip.
Best Wide-Fitting Athletic Spikes
Nike and Brooks track spikes tend to fit wider feet better than most:
- Nike Zoom Rival D: A really popular distance spike. Suitable for many different athletic events.
- Nike Zoom Rival S: An excellent entry level sprint spike.
- Brooks PR LD: A versatile distance spike.
- Brooks PR Sprint: A powerful sprint spike.
So even the widest feet should find something to suit. Happy Running!